An opportunity to manage the only industry charity focussed on helping hairdressers in need.
Job title: Manager
Hours: 35 hours per week (excluding breaks)
Job type: Permanent
Reporting to: The Directors of The Hairdressers’ Charity
Liaising with: The Charity’s elected Chairman & President
Direct reports: 1 Beneficiaries Executive (currently 28 hours per week (excluding breaks)
About The Hairdressing Charity
The Hairdressing Charity was originally established as HABB (the Hair & Beauty Benevolent Fund) in 1853. We have recently changed from being a ‘friendly society’ to become a registered charity. We offer financial support to individuals who work, or who have worked in the hair and beauty industry, and their families. The charity is supported by volunteers who work in the hairdressing industry and who sit on the charity’s Fundraising Committee and the Management Committee.
Your role is to work with the volunteers, helping them to increase income each year to help hairdressers in need, to raise awareness of the charity within the industry and to ensure that payments are made to beneficiaries. You will be responsible for designing and developing plans for marketing, fundraising, events, social media and liaising with volunteers, encouraging and engaging their support. You will also have responsibility for managing the office, systems and processes, with external support where needed.
Your roles and responsibilities may change from time to time to suit the charity business needs and are listed below but are not restricted to:
- Coordinating & transacting the business of the Charity as agreed by the management committee at their monthly meetings
- Preparing an annual budget for the Charity, including budgets for events and other fundraising activities
- Gathering ideas from the fundraising committee and planning an annual programme of events and other fundraising activities
- Organising events, including venue, speakers, bookings and payments
- Creating and developing inspiring, innovative campaigns to attract hair professionals and hair industry support and engage with the charity’s existing sponsors and supporters
- Sourcing and ordering promotional materials, adverts, exhibition stands as needed
- Liaising with the external accounts manager to maintain quarterly management accounts, ensure the necessary financial returns are made and to manage payroll and pension contributions.
- Attending events and exhibitions to represent the charity
- Arranging monthly committee meetings (11 per year excluding August) and the Annual General Meeting, including producing agendas, taking minutes and circulating information to committee members
- Line-managing the Beneficiaries Executive who is the first point of contact for beneficiaries
- Sourcing and setting up a new CRM system and populating with data extracted from manual records
- Managing the office, facilities, equipment and finances. As the charity was recently established, you will need to spend time setting up systems and processes to enable the smooth running of the charity as a professionally-run business and to comply with charity regulations.
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Fundraising experience
- Experience of organising events and fundraising activities
- Management experience, including businesses processes
- Familiarity with marketing and social media
- Familiarity with the hairdressing industry (desirable)
- IT literate
- Able to work on own initiative
- Strong relationship-building skills, liaising with volunteers and charity supporters.
The position is subject to the terms and conditions set out in the employment contract.
How to apply
Please send your CV and covering letter explaining why you’d be great for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date is 17th March 2017.
All interviews will be held in the afternoon in London on 23rd March 2017.